Aboriginal Indigenous BU Portal

Boozhoo, Tansi, Welcome Back Please Sign In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Boozhoo, Tansi, Welcome Back Please Sign In

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where we share our past, present and future visions as students sharing stories and experiences to help support one another during our many transitions in university.

Affiliates

Couchiching First Nation has announced its intention to set up a toll booth near the west end of the Noden Causeway as of May 21

admin
    admin
    Admin

Couchiching First Nation has announced its intention to set up a toll booth near the west end of the Noden Causeway as of May 21 Empty Couchiching First Nation has announced its intention to set up a toll booth near the west end of the Noden Causeway as of May 21

Post  admin Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 pm

How do you feel about Couchiching’s plan to set up a toll booth on Highway 11?
    Fully agree
    17%
    Sympathetic
    7%
    Worried
    11%
    Outraged
    65%
    Total votes: 723

* 15 comments
    * Older polls

Couchiching vows to set up toll booth

A A A - text size
    Wednesday, 28 April 2010 - 1:01pm
    By Peggy Revell

Couchiching First Nation has announced its intention to set up a toll booth near the west end of the Noden Causeway as of May 21.
    The decision by the band council to set up the toll booth is twofold, explained Chief Chuck McPherson.
    view counter
    It stems from the failure of the federal and provincial government to properly compensate the community for the land on which Highway 11 is built, as well as the government’s response to the soil contamination issue believed to be caused by the former J.A. Mathieu sawmill.
    In the days prior to the band setting up the toll booth, it will be holding traffic slowdowns along the highway to distribute information pamphlets, outlining their concerns and reasons for the action.
    “It’s not going to affect the emergency services,” stressed band councillor Eugene McPherson.
    “We’d be dead wrong if we started doing stuff like that,” he noted.
    The band said it also will begin charging a fee for all who launch boats from the Five-Mile Dock.
    The exact length of time which the toll booth will be in operation is unknown, noted Chief McPherson, saying the ultimate goal is to come to some kind of satisfactory agreement with both levels of government.
    “Over the last 50 years since the construction of the Noden Causeway, there’s been billions of dollars generated in the district economy,” said Chief McPherson.
    “And we haven’t been allowed to participate in that.”
    Originally, the province and federal Department of Indian Affairs negotiated an exchange of the 44.5 acres within what’s historically known as the “two-chain shore allowance” for the 33.9 acres of land used to build Highway 11, Chief McPherson explained.
    But he said the original survey of the “two-chain shore allowance” land was done “erroneously,” explaining the surveyor commissioned to survey the neighbouring Agency #1 reserve back in 1876 included land that already was part of the Couchiching reserve.
    As well, dam construction in the early 1900s meant only nine acres of the original 44.5 acres exists.
    “So, in effect, we got our own land in exchange for the highway right-of-way,” argued Chief McPherson. “We were never compensated for it.”
    About three years ago, the federal and provincial governments offered a combined amount of $500,000 in compensation­­­—“an insult,” said Chief McPherson, especially as the province has settled million-dollar claims with mining companies, such as the $5-million buy-out of Platinex Inc.’s claim following a dispute with Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation.
    So the Couchiching band council has agreed to erect a toll booth to raise monies for economic and
    social development ventures in their community, he stated.
    People “think nothing” of crossing the international bridge and paying a toll there, noted Chief McPherson, adding Couchiching residents pay non-resident fees to utilize services such as the library, arena, and pool in Fort Frances.
    “And that’s all we’re asking in return—that if people are utilizing our property and our facilities, we want to be compensated for it,” said Chief McPherson.
    “I don’t think that’s unfair, I think that’s reasonable.”
    Besides the issue of the Highway 11 corridor, the decision to set up the toll booth comes following the federal government’s handling of the contaminated grounds at the former site of the dipping ponds of the J.A. Mathieu sawmill—where six residences are now situated.
    “A large portion of Couchiching property has been found to be contaminated with dioxins, furans, and a whole multitude of other chemicals,” noted Chief McPherson.
    “The Department of Indian Affairs consented to a lease 100 years ago and in that particular area, there were a series of sawmills and wood treatment plants and so forth, and the Department of Indian Affairs has an obligation and a right to ensure that the property is restored to its original pristine state.
    “They didn’t do that,” he charged.
    This contamination was known as early as 2003, when soil testing was done for a new police building.
    To date, Ottawa has spent almost $2 million “in doing studies, to find out, to confirm that which they already know—it’s contaminated,” Chief McPherson said.
    “The land is contaminated—and all they want to do is study it. They don’t want to do anything else,” he remarked.
    “At some point in time, common sense has to come into play. People are being endangered up there.
    “It’s a health issue,” he stressed.
    “We have residents living there that have indicated that they are willing to relocate. A number of them have taken out mortgages and built their own homes, and they just want to be compensated for that.
    “And Indian Affairs is not prepared to do that,” Chief McPherson said.
    A preliminary estimate to fully relocate these six residences to a new site that would be the “same level of accommodations that they have right now” amounts to about $1.5 million.
    “We don’t have the financial resources to compensate them or relocate them,” noted the chief. “So Canada has a responsibility.”
    Yet Indian and Northern Affairs so far has refused to move the families, he said, with band officials being told that “if we do it for Couchiching, then we have to do it for everybody. We don’t want to set a precedent.”
    “Well, certainly, if people are in contaminated lands, I think the government of Canada has an obligation to ensure that safety and health are ensured,” Chief McPherson added, noting this lack of action also “blatantly” ignores the priority of the Canadian government relative to First Nations’ safety and health.
    Couchiching Coun. Ed Yerxa called both the Highway 11 corridor and contaminated site “historical long-standing issues.”
    “Those are issues that have impacted our community in not such a nice way,” he said. “I think the community has been patient, we’ve been nice.
    “Some of the comments I’ve heard from our community members is we’ve been nice too long.
    “And we don’t owe anybody anything out there,” Coun. Yerxa stressed. “When you look at the benefits that the highway has had for the district, the province, Canada, I think we need to be compensated, as well.”
    As for the soil contamination, the site is a huge tract of land—and it’s land the band no longer can use, he said.
    “And the only thing that we do have, hopefully, is the land. And we have to take care of that.
    “We have to keep it, and I don’t think we’re ever going to compromise what we do have when it comes to the land.”
    As for the putting up the toll booth, Coun. Yerxa said he’s “prepared to be here for the long haul.”
    “We’re not satisfied with the services provided by the federal and the provincial government,” Chief McPherson said.
    While health and education are to be provided to First Nations as a part of the treaties, Chief McPherson cited a recent case where Health Canada refused to cover the costs of a root canal for a young Couchiching resident, deeming it “not essential.”
    “So we have to take some kind of action to compensate for trying to help our people,” he reasoned. “And if we can [apply] a toll fee to the million-plus cars that come through here on an annual basis, we’ll have to do that.
    “Unfortunately, it’s an action that’s necessitated by the level of service provided by the federal and provincial governments.
    “Taxpayers always say that, ‘We pay taxes and it goes to the First Nation communities’—and the taxpayer does have a right to be upset,” added Chief McPherson, noting that allocations for every status Indian amounts to $20,000-$22,000 per capita every year.
    On Couchiching, that would amount to $42 million a year, he explained.
    But the last financial agreement with Indian Affairs saw the band receiving a little over $6 million each year—of which 90 percent goes towards education.
    At this point, the band council has yet to determine what the exact toll at the booth will be. But Chief McPherson said it will be comparable to what the private company charges for crossing the international bridge, and with boat launching fees comparable to what the Town of Fort Frances charges at the Sorting Gap Marina.
    “We’re not being radical, we’re not being dissidents, we’re not being violent,” Chief McPherson stressed.
    “We’re just asking for the same consideration that private operators have and municipalities have.”
    As for the contaminated soil, only after the residents are relocated will chief and council be willing to participate in further studies of the location, said Chief McPherson.
    And while only one site currently is being studied for contamination, the full extent of the contamination is still unknown, he warned.
    “We haven’t done further studies along the lakeshore to the east, towards the Five-Mile area. There were mills in operation in that area,” the chief said, pointing to the land where more Couchiching residences and programs are located.
    The contamination might not be exclusive to Couchiching, he remarked, noting that with the way the water flows, the issue could be impacting the whole district.
    »

* Add new comment
    * Email this page

Digg Delicious Reddit Stumble Facebook Tweet this
    More stories

* Council bullets
    * Union Gas set to resume replacing lines next month
    * Council to get update on Union Gas work

Living in Dryden I will
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 1:37pm.

Living in Dryden I will gladly drive the further distance, driving up the Nestor Falls highway and back to Fort Frances (costing much more in gas money) before I will be stopping at a toll booth on the reserve/Causeway. Thank you for punishing the tax payers once again.
    »

Dryden Driver
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:44pm.

What would you do if Sabaskong would do the same thing? How would you get around then?
    »

Go spend my money
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:48am.

Go spend my money elsewhere....but I assure you I will NOT be paying the reserve a toll Smile
    »

Wow, isn't it amazing when
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:31am.

Wow, isn't it amazing when people stand up and shout when they feel their rights are being violated!!!
    Don't waste your time venting here. Contact your MPP, MP, Premiere and Prime Ministers regarding your rights.
    »

I guess I could also save up
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:59am.

I guess I could also save up all of my pennies so that when I have to go in for a family emergency and don't have time to go the long way the toll worker could count out hundreds of pennies to cover my toll. I could also check into flying...the air isn't owned yet is it?
    »

Couchiching Toll Booth
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 1:57pm.

Then, the town of Fort Frances should set up a toll booth at the beginning of the overpass so Couchiching residents can't come into town without paying a toll. What a load of crap...get on with life instead of portraying yourselves as perpetual victims and asking for handouts.
    »

Civil Disobedience Is A Crime
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 7:07pm.

If I were to set up a toll booth in the middle of a Scott Street never mind Kings Highway (HWY 11/17) I am 100 percent sure I would be arrested and charged. As I was taught in elementary school followed by high school and then in University, Highways, Pipelines, Cell Towers, Hydro Lines and Railway Tracks have been constructed to benefit ALL CITIZENS of Canada including the First Nations. Too hold people hostage for their exsistence, for personal monetary gain when you already benefit from the services is repugnant.
    »

Too hold people hostage for their existence, for personal moneta
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 1:42am.

Too hold people hostage for their existence, for personal monetary gain when you already benefit is repugnant. You said it buddy, exactly what has been happening to the First Nation communities throughout history? Thank You for that well said. Pretty sick isn't it? Nineteen Million over their very existence for the personal monetary gain and greed. Be careful with your words.
    »

then maybe we can ask Rainy
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 12:54am.

then maybe we can ask Rainy River First Nations to set up a toll booth at their end. How's that?
    »

Ingnorant..Is this truely the mind of the average Canadian
    Submitted by Nigel (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 7:59am.

Victims of Truth.
    The truth is your eyes are so closed. Ingnorance is bliss they say.. Well keep on living in your diluted little world. The only poeple who have the rights to this land and to tax is the FirstNations of Turtle Island. Squaters need to quite squatting take there family's back to there home land. The Genocide 20 generations. Let me come to your home take your kids take your land rape and kill thousands of your people tax you and call you a perpetual victim through it all, and then tell you just to move on.and take it in the ass..My friend ignorace is bliss. This happend to our grandmothers are grandfathers their parents and kids and uncles aunts..To our familys. Think a little..Try reading a book. Try listening, try using your heart to make the desisions of what is right and wrong.
    »

I would like to urge all
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 2:03pm.

I would like to urge all taxpayers to seriously consider no longer patronizing establishments such as Heron Landing Golf Course and the Couchiching Bingo Palace if this toll is imposed, won't the toll be enough money spent?
    »

Two can play at this game.
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 2:10pm.

Two can play at this game. I would suggest that the Town of Fort Frances setup a booth at the west end of Couchiching. After all as Chief McPherson says "if people are utilizing our property and our facilities, we want to be compensated for it”
    »

Yes two can play at this game....
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:36pm.

Yes two can play at this game...we ARE the second......What Chief McPherson has stated is " we(Couchiching) have to pay to utilize town services, such as the library,arena and pool"..what he was saying is we already have to pay to use some services in Fort Frances and we are only asking to have the same courtesy....and that is the end of the game...but what you are suggesting is a "tit for tat"...as in "well if they put up that, let's put up this....and if they do that, then we can do this"....
    »

Library, Arena, Pool
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:33am.

You realize that we pay to use these services too... Actucally we pay twice we have to pay when we use the service, plus we pay taxes that go towards them as well... You're all just being a bunch of greedy kids with your hands out, maybe try contributing to society instead of just take take take...
    »

You make it sound like First
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 11:17am.

You make it sound like First nations are the only ones that pay for services such as pool etc. We pay every time we walk throught the door as well as part of our taxes. So it is not Tit for tat.

Its a shame because I enjoyed eating Chester fried Chicken when I am out fishing and I enjoyed the Heron Landing Golf Course. Not anymore.
    »

Okay but make sure it is not
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 2:01am.

Okay but make sure it is not on Agency 1 Reserve and for that matter you should put one up on the other end by the Township boundary there that didn't want the Indians running loose in Alberton. You see this way you won't have to get involved or have to deal with this Indian Problem anymore. I can't really say that the town would survive without the support of the surrounding First Nation dollars that go into the shops though think before you speak and direct your frustration were it should be it's not us were just standing up for ourselves. I don't mind driving to Thunder Bay or Kenora to hit the superstore and get some really good deals for my money and i don't think others would mind that so much either. But no i won't, i will continue to pay $10.00 for a pound of hamburger at Safeway because no matter what the cost we have a natural loyal obligation to support and stand with our neighbors.
    Good Job Chuck!
    »

Toll booth Drama
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 3:26pm.

I can understand the political message that the band and members of Couchiching First Nation are trying to get out there about how they feel about being compensated for their land. I am not going to comment to this issue as I really have no knowledge of the details of it. What I am concerned about is the reality that this is going to create an "us and them" situation between Couch and the residents in and around Fort Frances. And be the catalyst for hard feelings and resentment between the 2 communities and residents living and working outside of Fort Frances to the East. I would also like to know if residents of Couchiching First Nation will also be required to pay the toll, if as Chief McPherson states it is similar to the one at the US border, to my knowledge no one is exempt from paying that toll. So I also fear this will create a situation of high tension and stress and possibly create feelings of discrimination towards the band and council members by non aboriginal residents who will have to pay this toll.
    »

Toll Booth
    Submitted by Moving backwards (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:51am.

Well I would have to ask the question as to what they are trying to accomplish..

Do they pay for the up keep of the piece of highway or does the Federal Govt. already take care of that?

Would they forego the monies that would be lost due to a potential boycott of anything related to Couchiching...as a Resident of Fort Frances I believe alot of Non-Aboriginal monies pour into couching business and functions.

Would it be successful in dividing a town?
    Would the town then be responsible to provide essential services to a closed reserve.

Water and power might be something they should think about providing to themselves should they be successful in closing their reserve. Or perhaps they are trying to collect the money from the town to pay the 2 year outstanding portion they owe to town of Fort Frances, thus not really paying their bill at all.

Not to mention garbage services provided by contractors who don't wish to pay the tolls.

The unfortunate part is that it is the main route into and out of town and in a democratic society should there not be an alternative route proposed?

I for one frequent the couching conv. store as it is in close proximity to my house, that would stop!!!

In closing I would just like to say, think of the consequences!!
    »

Not all Couchiching Band
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:57am.

Not all Couchiching Band Members are in favor of this toll booth being set up. In fact, some of us didn't find out this was in the plans as our Chief and Council forget to inform the members before making statements like this.

It is the politicians in Toronto and Ottawa that the frustrations of the Chief are being directed too. Why create more hardships between the Band Members and our non Members around us?

The Chief and Coucil need to consult the Membership first.
    »

To quote the above comment
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:56am.

To quote the above comment ...."our Chief and Council forget to inform the members before making statements like this. "

Now this I find completely hilarious! Make a statement like this and not even be organized enough to have informed your members and we are supposed to take the issues seriously??? Laughable, utterly and completely laughable.
    »

I fully support this opinion
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:05am.

I fully support this opinion and upon reviewing the previous comments- it appears that this has already happened. This effort is flawed because it is only penalizing the 'neighbours' of Couchiching and the chasing away the tourists we try so hard to attract. After many years of harmony within the educational, religious, sporting and health forums, it is sad that the leaders of Couchiching have chosen to punish their municipal partners for a lack of political response.

This logic can be compared to an individual being unhappy with their income tax return or property tax bill and then deciding to charge their paper boy a toll to deliver their paper. Why punish those who have no control?

Let's be calm and work together to support each other through these difficult economic times challenging the Northwest.
    This is a media event will create serious consequences for the individuals of this district.
    Did someone call Queen's Park?
    »

I guess the Town of Fort
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 3:35pm.

I guess the Town of Fort Frances should consider setting up a toll at the base of the Overpass. Or Charge users fees for Couchiching residents who seek health services in Fort Frances when they have their own health care services available to them on reserve.
    Are we all not paddling in the same canoe, in the big picture.
    I say no to the toll.
    »

I love how all of you people
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:47pm.

I love how all of you people wont sign your name to any of these comments. Are you scared us savages will come in our canoes and hunt you down? We have to pay extra money so our kids can participate in sports alongside your kids...we have to pay 50$ a year so our kids can come read books alongside your kids, while you pay nothing. Now, you are suggesting that we pay a fee so that our kids can receive the same medical care your kids do? Why dont we just go back to the days where indians just stay out of town all together? Is this what you people want? it is sounding this way to me. Did any of u read the article or did u just read the headline? Fort Frances really hasn't come very far with regards to racism. All these comments are proof.
    »

Just don't get it
    Submitted by The people who pay taxes (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:08am.

Ah you pay $50.00 to read books by our children. I pay a $3200.00 municipal tax bill to enjoy that service. Lets be honest here. Where did that $50.00 come from? I am sure the band office reimburses you so in fact that $50.00 you pay actually comes from my $30000 in income tax bill that I pay each year. I really understand your hardship. (Not) Enough is enough. The time is now for ALL Canadians to be treated equally. No more handouts. No more freeloading. You want respect, earn it. You can fool yourself into thinking that you are respected but until you earn it and start providing for yourselves like all other Canadians you will not have any respect. Put up a toll booth. Maybe that is exactly what we need to enrage the people who actually ensure this country survives by paying taxes. Lets start a fund to give to the first logger who turns the toll booth into a hundred pieces of shattered lumber.
    »

I see that you did not sign
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:14am.

I see that you did not sign your name. And wake up your chief is suggesting that Fort France residents or people living to the East and anyone who uses this provinical roadway pay an extra fee/tax (however you want to define it) to use the same road that you use. As I am sure FN people with be exempt from the toll.
    The fact is that people are tried of hearing about what has been done to FN communities and how they need to be compensated for this and that and anything else. I think people's sympathy and pateince for this type of action is getting very thin.
    »

How come you didn't sign
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 1:31pm.

How come you didn't sign your name? We do pay for our kids to use the facilties. It is called taxes. When I make $50K a year aprox $16 to $20 K goes out of my pocket so I can use things like roads, sewers, drinking water, pools, areana, libraries etc.

You don't pay tax so you should be charged a fee for the use as well as any person that does live outside of Fort Frances. This includes all people not just Native Americans. Now if you want to pay taxes I am sure the town would be happy to wave the fees for you but $50 dollars hear and there is a lot less then $16K to $20K a year
    »

Enough is enough.
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 3:47pm.

I can see the boat launch fee, yes that is reasonable. But if you want to be treated like everyone else, start acting like everyone else. Take up your problems with the government, not the locals.
    This is complete bull.
    I will for one take the long way to Thunder Bay just to avoid loosing any more of my hard earned money.
    »

yes going around the long
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 11:00am.

yes going around the long way would certainly save you money...good thinking
    »

If you want to anger people...............
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 4:39pm.

Well, why don't you set us back 15-20 years Chuck! Couchiching Reserve and Fort Frances have been coexisting quite well recently. We have been working together and it seems that prejudice is becoming less and less of an issue. THEN you go and say something like this.

How do you think the people of Fort Frances will respond to this? We have to go through the HST as well Chuck! What makes you so special. Tax paying individuals who go through your toll are not going to react well.

Think about it.... What is going to be the reaction of very pissed of people having to go through your toll? It will be messy.
    »

It is about time you did
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 4:45pm.

It is about time you did something.
    »

I for one think it is a
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 4:59pm.

I for one think it is a joke.....If i buy a house and ten years later i find it has mold or somerhing else wrong....I do not get compensated....Sorry i have no sympathy for theese people....Enough is enough...If it were not for that road,yes Fort Frances may have not had the financial enjection it has recieved...but neither would the couch convienence store and the other proprieties around such as fishing guides for the camps up north...They certainly dont mind taking their tax-free money.I am not in any way trying to be racist.....but this happened 100 years ago,Something should have been done then,doing it now makes it look like a money grab by a spoiled kid.......As for residence paying a toll on the International bridge,I am disgusted at that as well...That bridge has been paid for many times over....As for Couch residence paying non residence fees for the pool and other things around town.....Welcome to Canada...We all have to pay taxes and fees for everything.....there is no our land,your land...We live in Canada and everyone should be treated the same! I have to pay the full fee to use your golf course on couch,I think it would be the wrong thing to do....there is already too much tension around here,this will only make it worse.
    »

Know your history before
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 7:48pm.

Know your history before making a comment like that.....

Native people were here first........

Everyone living in Canada are living on the dispossession's of Native people. Now that Couchiching is taking their stand and fighting for their rights, it makes people uncomfortable.
    »

thats history, this is now
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 10:21pm.

I understand native people were here first. But really what has become of the native heritage?ALL elderly aboriginal citizens have my utmost respect 100% it is the next generation that has people thinking the way they do. Take a look around, and take a second to think....when i used to think about native tradition i'd think of the fur traders, spears, and pottery, teepees, dream catchers, fun stuff like that. I'd think of people actually proud of what they did and of their culture! Now you see drunks, druggies, casino junkies, unemployed, uneducated people, spending OUR tax money on those types of things, i know aboriginal students who would attend school just to make their 20 bucks a month! I'm not here to pick on natives, as I also know there are many of us non-aboriginals who participate in the same activities. My point is, take a look in the mirror, if the natives were here first, why don't you set an example of what you want for our country instead of creating conflict after conflict between yourselves and us "white people" as we would be referred to

Remember the simple saying: We're all in this together!
    »

you know it is comments like
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 7:40am.

you know it is comments like that that become hurtful.we honor our elders as well and as for the "next Generation" we are the ones who lost our culture we are the ones who were put in residental schools we are the ones told not to speak our language we are the ones who were made to honor your churches.WE ARE THE ONES WHO HAD OUR LAND STOLEN FROM US!
    »

where did al the alcohol and
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:28am.

where did al the alcohol and drugs come from? We as native people didnt have all fo thise things long along until the "white people" came along and introduced it to our people. All I have to say is know your history!! Don't be ignorant! As far as I'm concerned we are setting an example for our country and that is to be treated fairly!
    »

Here First ?????
    Submitted by hmmmm (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:06am.

Someone had to be first....Does that mean you inhabited the whole country? Every piece of land was YOURS?

And which Native people are you referring to? Inuit...Metis...Cree...how many others.

We are Canadians and as such should act like it. They came, they saw, they, integrated.

You liked us enough to Marry us
    You liked us enough to have children with us
    you liked us enough to go to school with us
    you liked us enough to work side by side with us
    you liked us enough when we gave YOUR land back
    you liked us enough when we said you didn't have to PAY TAXES

Now you don't like us enough to share YOUR ROAD with US ??????

Shame
    »

You liked us enough to Marry
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:26am.

You liked us enough to Marry us
    You liked us enough to have children with us
    you liked us enough to go to school with us
    you liked us enough to work side by side with us
    you liked us enough when you gave OUR land back
    you liked us enough when you said we didn't have to PAY TAXES
    you liked us enough when you married us to move onto our lands and pay no taxes
    you liked us enough to call us friends spouse better half and then use our status cards so you didn't have to pay taxes

YES YOU LIKE THE FIRST NATIONS PEOPLE AS LONG AS THEY DO YOUR BIDDING AND NOT DEMAND WHAT RIGHTFULLY BELONGS TO THEM!
    »

Who really benefits?
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 8:02pm.

I moved off the reserve by choice, I could not get a job there because I was not in the click and I know by this decision to put up a toll, I still won't benefit. Who really benefits? Rama gets funds from their band for their casino, who is going to get the revenue for the bridge toll...or for the compensation? Why do we always wait so damn long to take action, did someone on council finally wake up or what-30 years or more later. I dont support it because its who benefits, not I thats for sure and I am a band member.
    »

hello....read up on the
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 2:29pm.

hello....read up on the history of natives..back then they were only allowed to attend school til the 6th grade and not any further meanwhile the non natives were allowed to graduate from grade 12..the reason was so the natives wont learn their ways and how to respond to the gov..so quit being naive
    »

Disgusting!
    Submitted by FORT FRANCES RESIDENT (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 6:23pm.

Maybe the government should drop the taxes given to the natives, so they can go out, get a job, and realize what its like in the real world, instead of having our hard earned tax money fed to them with a spoon! I pay a hefty Land Tax on my beautiful lake property on Rainy, and I'll be damned if I pay an extra toll to spend time at a place I have worked my whole life to afford and enjoy! People here in Fort Frances work very hard to earn their pay! Mr. McPherson, I hope you are the one on roadside giving information because I would like to hear some of the opinions that you get! I also am looking forward to sitting back and laughing at all the stories of the toll booth getting plowed through, because thats all the talk I hear around town.

Maybe we should counteract with a toll booth on the town side of the overpass?

But no, that isn't the answer because we are an open community willing to share whatever our town has to offer to our neighboring native communities. Give you're head a shake Chuck! I am absolutely disgusted by this decision, and as as a Metis citizen, very ashamed!
    »

Everyone wants a cut.....
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 9:45pm.

I for one am very disappointed by this sudden initiative to take action against the local people and the businesses that bring prosperity to the region for you as a first nation band to make a point to the Canadian government. I am fairly certain that its illegal to block a Kings HWY to provide a service fee to your community because you feel unfairly treated by the government. I understand your issues and see your points to the government. Everyone in this century wants a cut. I for one am tired of having to pay for the first nations agreements that were created long before I was ever on gods earth. I think that I should charge a disposal fee every time i see a piece of garbage thrown from a vehicle that lands in my yard on the way to one of the local first nations reservations. Or better yet maybe I should set up a toll booth when they come by my land... When will this stupidity ever end?
    »

I think that I should
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:23am.

I think that I should charge a disposal fee every time i see a piece of garbage thrown from a vehicle that lands in my yard on the way to one of the local first nations reservations. Or better yet maybe I should set up a toll booth when they come by my land... When will this stupidity ever end?
    Couchiching is not setting up a toll booth because people "come by their land" it is because people cross over and use their land and are you actually trying to say it is only first nations people who throw litter from their vehicules.
    Think before you speak or write in this case!
    »

Toll Booth on the Causeway
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 9:14pm.

This will seriously increase the tension in the area that is already fairly high. I can see the point that they are trying to get across as well. Its legitimate that the sawmills should have cleaned up but there was no EIA's (Environmental Impact Assessment) done back then and no one really cared about how chemicals would affect the environment and really today we aren't quite sure yet. I guess we could just dig up all that contaminated soil and incinerate it. That would break down the chemicals. But then you would be left with ash. Yes the govt should help out but by pissing off every non-native in the area you are not helping your cause.

On another note. I do not live in Fort Frances, I live East of town and East of the causeway. My address still says Fort Frances, ON on it and I still have to pay non-resident fees to use the public services as well. I do not even get sewer or water as your Couch residents do. You get fire protection as well and fire hydrants. We have a Honda water pump. How is making the people who live East of the causeway pay more of their money that many don't have going to help everything in the long run. Part of our wages goes to the Natives. Without us many of you wouldn't make it. The time has come where you Natives should start paying your own way in society. If one could have seen into the future way back when these Treaties were signed they definitely would not have been worded in the same manner as they were.
    »

Interesting comments people
    Submitted by Interesting (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 1:30am.

Interesting comments people such as; "The Natives", huh i had laugh at that one and "you people", there was also "without us many of you wouldn't make it." Talk about contradictions like words in the wind i can hear clearly just how harmonious we have been living thank you for that. When you think about it, without you many of us would have made it our population and survival is just now going up again in eight times the national average. We are just now gaining our strength back in numbers educated and very well aware of the reality. No more conforming for simply sustaining our lives i say that literally. Yes i have to agree the Treaties would not say what they say now if we were aware of the realities as we are today. I have to say good job Chuck for whatever the reason it's about time. That causeway didn't only intrude on us there were sacred places that were demolished there as well. Not expecting any of "you people" to understand that though. Now let's turn the table around instead of barking at my Chief. I am going tell you how your children and grandchildren are going to continue on this harmonious walk you say you been on with "Us People", the Native's who wouldn't survive without you or the oppressive legislation's that have been forced and still exist for us "Natives". If this was for your own and their futures you can't say you would just sit back and allow your children and grandchildren to go without while others reap the benefits now would you. If and when the tables are turned, it's a different story right? But, when it is First Nation people, Anishinaabe people standing up for their own it's called whining, greed and selfishness right? Now, when it is for others it is called Justice, Rightfully yours. This has absolutely nothing to do with the town or the rural residents if anything you should be standing beside us as our neighbors in getting the government to step up and stop stalling and just deal with the issues at hand collective pressure is what will make things happen don't take it personally. This is an effort by our Chief to make things better economically for our First Nation and move the people who have been sitting on the issue for far too long. On another note i would like to say that before you go thinking we have everything handed to us you really should do some research and find out the real stats and realities of the conditions of our First Nations. The hard-times and the many more hurdles we have to jump over just to make it even with a good job, and you might want to start asking why a person in a city or town who does the same job as a First Nation resident or person for that matter makes about 30% less for the same work, or how about this why a First Nation person can't use a home they built and paid for through the bank as equity for a possible opportunity they may have into becoming self sufficient. Another might be why how many non natives are there walking around using Status cards without one ounce of First Nation blood in their veins for education and other benefits who are no longer married to a First Nation man who also bring those numbers up for the government when it could be some of our own people using those funds for education so they can bring themselves out of poverty. We don't have the same type of opportunities or means to access them it's definitely not because we don't want them for our children too or aren't willing to work for them there are just so many measures that have been put out in front us making them very hard, extra hard to attain not many of us were born into families with the means to help them be successful or the support one needs to become accomplished with extensive opportunities. Words and judgments are easy to throw out there but until you know what it is to live the life of a First Nation person first hand yours words will contradict you and will only be words in the wind. Again, Good Job Chuck! One more thing, we have about 28 First Nation communities that shop in Fort Frances, Kenora and Dryden without the support of them shopping in your towns how many businesses would survive without us? Think about who needs who what is your population without the First Nation numbers and is that enough to keep a town of that size going? Just curious is all and now how did that feel isn't that what some of you were doing taking to us? It doesn't feel very good to have your way of life being threatened does it? Try living like that for your lifetime see how far you get.
    »

If I were the one to comment
    Submitted by Disappointed (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 2:09am.

If I were the one to comment like you's did I would be ashamed of myself. Commenting on heath care on reserve, the taxes, water and all the privilages we may have, the use of golf course and the gas bar is plain rediculous. Paying to use our golf course is the same as us having a membership at Kitchen Creek, and the non FN people get lots of benifets to using the gas bar. What one comment had said basically is that us natives don't work like they do, WELL...there is a lot of us FN members out there working and in the REAL WOLRD as you callled it, we pay into the same taxes as you do. I am a FN member living off reserve, work off reserve and I am in the same boat. I pay TAXES, , We all pay for living! You pay for heath care, We pay for health care,,,before making comments do your homework people. We get mortgages just like you, loans just like you, and yes we are human.
    The families that live on the contaminated land really don't have a choice to relocate, It isn't just like mold where they can just clean it themselves. They all got loans to build from the bank and have to pay back what they borrowed just like you, the fact is, they can't afford to pay for more than one mortgage, having families. This is land that can make them really very ill. Something should be done about that for sure. As for the toll booth, I am against it as my husband uses it every week to go to work and I use it too. Sometimes we use it together! What happens then? Me being FN and him, non FN. Charging for the dock use is realistic and should have been done long ago,
    Come on people, we are all the same and should be proud to live where we do, lets band together and get this settled.
    »

Channel your anger in the right direction
    Submitted by White ally (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 9:51pm.

As always, the non-Aboriginal people in Fort Frances miss the point completely and demonstrate that they have not learned their history lessons. Being a "taxpayer" doesn't mean that you can steal land, violate treaties, and trample on human rights. As a white person, I fully support Couchiching First Nation in their efforts. People need to remember that this is Anishinaabe land and there are historic treaties (aka LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACTS) to uphold. Stop your whining and channel your anger in the right direction -- to the governments who have failed to uphold their legal duties to Anishinaabe peoples! Take a look at the sunshine list and see who is REALLY "ripping on the system" -- the top 5% in a locality near you! (http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2010)
    »

try saucing up a toll booth
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 10:55pm.

try saucing up a toll booth buddy and see what happens. For one you think all those truckers are gonna stop and pay some toll no.. if you put up a toll booth things will get messy. maybe we should just build a highway right around couch and keep you guys on a island. like seriously use your lid before you starting thinking of stupid ideas like this. I know as for myself if there is a toll booth i'll ramming the gate at 98.
    »

ramming the gate at
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 7:47am.

ramming the gate at 98...thats speeding you would be breaking the law and truckers would not ram the toll to much damage done to those pretty trucks and their insurance would go higher then it is already.and please go right ahead and build your new highway...where you going to put it across rainy lake good luck with that.Man people think before you write!
    »

saucy comment
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:24am.

Build the road then buddy! See how much support you'll get for that idea and see how much that'll cost. The truckers WILL STOP just like everyone else. Your idea is the stupid one!!!
    »

All I am hearing is people
    Submitted by Deb (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:01pm.

All I am hearing is people complaining about how this toll is going to cost them and how much it will inconvenience them.
    We have known for many years that Couchiching has been trying to get the government to listen to them on the issue of their land taken for the highway and the contamination of land.
    Maybe, if we had been thinking back then, we should have gotten on board and let the government know that these issues must be resolved. But no, we sit back and watch because it has nothing to do with us. Guess what, it now concerns us so lets quit bitching and call your government reps and demand some satisfaction, let's get this cleared up!
    As far as the rights of the native people, the treaty is a contract that for some reason the Government doesn't wish to revisit. Thats another thing that we bitch and complain about but do we talk to the people who can maybe, just maybe, make things a little bit better...no!
    Maybe it's time we quit the complaining and demand the Government start listening! Just a suggestion.
    And yes, I shall pay the toll to go through Couch because these people have been screwed enough. I'm not native but I am thankful that the native people welcomed the white people to live among them, many years ago.
    »

law?
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:29pm.

Who says there is a law against accidently blinking and missing this toll booth? I'm sure there won't be any OPP fresh on your tail getting into a high speed chase over it. Or they could come to conclusion that whoever helps financially support the toll bridge gets through for free, because I will put my bottom dollar on it, that this is getting support from OUR tax money that you so generously recieve year in year out
    »

Wow. What a shameless
    Submitted by Ann Marie (not verified) on Wed, 28/04/2010 - 11:47pm.

Wow. What a shameless money grab. This makes me incredibly embarrassed to be Aboriginal. This shames our peoples.
    »

Once again, shortsightedness on the part of Chuck McP
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 12:01am.

So, the old grenade tosser is at it again. Thank your chief for again destroying any kind of relationship that may have been created between Fort Frances residents and Couchiching residents. Once again, Chuck is mixing two TOTALLY DIFFERENT ISSUES. If your issue is the contamination concern, then make it about that. If it's about the highway, then make it about THAT. Watch this video and ask yourself this question, Couch folks:

If the highway has not been a boon for your community, why not? Could it be because there is no economic plan for Couchiching? You have a BLOODY BUSY HIGHWAY running through your land, where you could be building industrial parks, retail space, office space and more. Many small towns would KILL for that opportunity in Northwestern Ontario. Plus, you don't have to collect HST on-reserve, do you? Why not utilize that opportunity?

Oh, right -- your chief is too busy getting into p**sing matches with everyone he can, to think about actual, non-INAC-funded projects and initiatives. Rainy River FN manages to create opportunities without looking for someone else to pay for everything; why can't some of the RAMA dollars go to creating a future for Couch, rather than supporting a golf course for the chief and council to play on?

The people of the District are -- and can continue to be -- friends of the First Nations in the area, for the most part. This isn't how you treat friends. Look to the rest of the District for support, instead of abusing us.
    »

time to turn the page
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 12:29am.

what makes aboriginals so special anyways? I understand the aboriginal history thoroughly, but that is in the very distant past, we are now living in different times people! I think it's about time to drop the whole tax exempt thing and start living like all other human beings, what do we have to feel so sorry for you about? Like was pointed out, if a non-aboriginal citizen buys a house and 10 year later finds mold or something, would we get compensated? NO! it's time the natives start getting treated equally to us non-aboriginals and start paying their yearly taxes and their sales taxes, maybe it will bring them off their high horse
    »

I think you should do some
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:29am.

I think you should do some more studying of aboriginal history.
    »

Really... do you think this
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 1:19am.

Really... do you think this is going to help everyone get along better. It is too late already, because you have spoken those words and have clrealy upset people. I frimly beleive the predigest is no longer aimed at the First Nations People, It is aimed at the remaining population. As far as you being here first, you didn't own all of Canada, and for that fact, go back to the way you lived than. I think with all the new cars you have at a much cheaper cost than the rest of us, or the Hydro we share and the list goes on. There are schools for First Nation people and only them...which is extreamly predigest. We do not have non First Nation Schools, could you imagine the uproar. I feal as a white person that the First Nation people are predigest against me and the many others. Where do I file a complaint!
    »

Im filing a complaint
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:20am.

pre·di·gest (prd-jst, -d-)
    tr.v. pre·di·gest·ed, pre·di·gest·ing, pre·di·gests
    1. To subject (food) to partial digestion, usually through an enzymatic or chemical process, before ingestion.
    2. To render in a simpler style or form

Sorry to tell you this but when you are complaining about issues you have no reason to complain about maybe you should learn how to spell. Many many people do read these comments.
    »

Well, this is a big issue
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 2:46am.

Well, this is a big issue now, are they even Indians on Couchiching First Nation? Their Chief and Council aren't even Indians, why pretend to be when we know you are not? Couchiching should be part of Fort Frances, it shouldn't be a First Nation. I am sick and tired of these white Indians taken taken taken taken taken, handouts, handouts, handouts and more handouts. You want to be white, stop asking for handouts....
    »

white indians
    Submitted by Holly (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:19am.

Did you really just go there?Did you really just intentionally insult a whole first nation?Heaven forbid that any of us "white Indians" make a remark about the people of Fort Frances or surrounding area! How many of you are married to first nations people and use their tax exempt cards on a regular bases,and why... because you think because you married a status native it gives you that right.well people it doesn't.Just because you marry a status native doesn't make you one,therefore does not intitle you to their exemptions but feel free to keep using them and when the first nations loses that right so will you and that will be when you can get on the bandwagon and complain how unfair it is how the rights of the first nations people are being taken away.
    »

Wow
    Submitted by herewegoagain (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 3:23am.

Wow.... really? I mean... REALLLLLLYYY? Take your problems up with the gov't! Charging the same as the border is an absolute joke... not as big as putting this thing up in the first place... but the people that live east of Fort have to go through 2X a day, not to mention ppl with kids, football,soccer,band, whatever... possibly 4X a day! Pfffft get real Couch
    »

What a joke!!!! Time to wake
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 3:37am.

What a joke!!!! Time to wake up and realize life isn't about sitting around and getting hand-outs Chucky. But I guess after years and years of being spoon fed, now its time to find something else to exploit. It makes me sick of all the advantages a status Indian has and that most choose not use the free schooling, etc for good use. Always have to find something else to whine about. But oh well, they better build that toll booth pretty sturdy to withstand all the stuff that will happen to it.
    »

We as First Nations people
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:33am.

We as First Nations people are truly sorry you feel disadvantaged in a country as great as this.
    »

Living on
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 6:29am.

Living on Couchiching

Foolish talk from the person in Dryden. Go ahead drive all around by Nestor Falls. Set up a toll booth yet remember the economy is driven by the business generated by First Nations people in the area. Chief McPherson makes a great argument so call your MP and MPP and tell them to get serious about settling these issues. As I resident I can say it has nothing to do with the people of Fort Frances and it is unfortunate it has come to this but the future of our children is at stake. Like anyone other community we are asking for fair compensation. Hope you understand that and I hope you can support us.
    »

Really bad idea
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 7:50am.

Suggestions have been made that the non native people of the Rainy River District should contact their government officials and demand that the issues on Couchiching be delt with to avoid this toll booth nonsense. If the Chief of Couch thinks that the non native people of this district have any political clout he is dilusional. The federal and provincial governments do not give a rats #@#@ what the non native people of North Western Ontario have to say. Why is it that we are going to be held up and forced to pay for something that we have no control over. Has the Chief considered the ramifications for the natives who have to live and work and spend time in this district. This toll booth is going to cause alot of anymosity between native and non native people and that is something this district does not need. I have family and friends living on Couchiching and I would really hate to see this happen. Setting up a toll booth is a really bad idea. Has the Chief considered the legal ramifications of charging toll. Will the reserve be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the highway, will they be liable for accidents that may occur on the highway?
    »

Amazingly wrong Facts
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 8:04am.

First off, I would like to say that I am very happy that our leadership has finally taking a position against all the injustice our community has faced. Secondly, it does not really matter what non-native people think about our leaderships decision - because that is our decision. We don't criticize or write racist and uneducated thoughts and comments about the towns leadership decisions. I heard many comments of how we should all get along and we all should aspire to be everyday Canadian. Well, we dont, that has always been the misconception that we would want to be like your people. Why would we, look at all the comments by the non-native people they are racist and ignorant and have violent undertones. Why would we want to be like that! Your people and government tried to make us like you and I am the first to say that didn't go over well and actually your people committed genocide on ours and you are proud of that? Oh yes, good luck with the bass tournament this year, where are you going to launch all the boats without paying? Oh yes good luck with the mill, we all know that will be shutdown within 10 years then what? You need us more than we need you!
    »

I see by all the all the
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:01am.

I see by all the all the comments that Chief McPherson and his merry band of council members are getting some reaction which I am sure is what they were hoping for. Not sure if creating a division between communities and hard feeling was the main goal. But well done.

I am puzzled with the various things stated in the paper (Times and West End Weekly) that report what was being said by various council members, such as we don't owe anybody anything, and we will not be screwed anymore. Or that council will not settle with the town about Pithers Point because the town is quoting some old agreemt that no longer applies. Sounds like talk from both sides of the face to me. It is ok for FN council to make decisions based on laws and agreeements that were settled years ago before most of us were even born. But not the Town of Fort Frances who is only trying to protect a park that is one of the most beautiful pieces of property in the area. Makes no sense to me.

I hope that you do set up the toll. But I for one will refuse to pay it and do have a right to drive on a Provinical Roadway, that I am pretty confident the reserve is paid a rental type agreeement for it to go through the reserve such as the Railway does on an annual basis. And if the toll goes up maybe the government should stop maintaining the Road that goes through Couch and make the band responsible for it themselves. You seem to miss the point that your residents also benefit from having this road go through your community. So maybe no one owes you anything. And we should all stop trying to screw one another.
    This is complete nonsense.
    »

If reservations want to be
    Submitted by Fort Resident (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:10am.

If reservations want to be treated like regular communities they should start acting like them and not go off on tantrums like spoiled kids. If you feel you were wronged by your ancestors signing off on a bad deal a hundred years ago then either suck it up and admit it was just as much fault to Couchiching for agreeing to it back then as it was who ever made the deal, or hire a lawyer like civilized people do and if you win you win if you don't that's the way it goes.You have to start taking responsibility for your mistakes as well, instead of just pointing the blame to everyone else and expecting a handout.
    »

Rights Violated
    Submitted by couchrezident (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 9:42am.

Isn't it ironic how people stand up and shout when they feel their rights are being violated. Fight the good fight all!
    »

The article states that the
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:08am.

The article states that the highway land was obtained via a treaty agreement (contract) and that the government failed to properly hold up its end of the bargin.
    So the burning question is whether or not Couchiching has initiated any legal action against the government? Is there anything ongoing / before the courts or is Couchiching leadership just putting the cart before the horse?

Without any court action this sure smells of the leadership going off half cocked. I understand that a court battle my take some time but this is issue seems to have been known about for the past 100 years with no action. Why, as summer approaches, if there this dire need for confrontation with the ordinary citizen (as opposed to the government) and need for a cash influx?

Are resdients of Lac, Red Gut, and Seine River going to be subject to the tax(sorry toll) as well? Should you penalize other first nation peoples for a government error just as you plan to penalize other residents?

If this section of highway is now becoming private highway adn supported by toll like the 407 then MTO shouldnt be investing a dime of maintenance.
    »

To charge a fee for boat
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 29/04/2010 - 10:15am.

To charge a fee for boat launching on the reserve is a GREAT idea. I say do it.
    As for the toll booth...
    I'm just worried about the people that have to travel through Couch to go to work or school. That is just pricey.
    Now what if other reserves start following this trend, especially places like Sab.? That could end up really hurting our tourism, and everyone would suffer. So many people have cabins in this area..or come up to hunt and fish!
    Like I said, the launching fees are a great idea...why not try to look for something else along those lines, where the Couch community will benefit, but it won't hurt their neighbours - the last thing that we want to happen is have Couch and the rest of the surrounding districts turn cold shoulders to eachother due to a toll booth.

Last edited by admin on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accessed link April 39/2010 http://fftimes.com/node/233087)

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 pm